re: K&N Question

<<I was ready to order a drop in K&N filter for my GTV6, but began to wonder
whether
modifying/converting to a cone set up might be better.

I put a drop in K&N in my 91 Spider and, although it's a superior filter,
noticed little
difference in performance -- maybe it breaths just a bit better -- I would
expect that the intake
design, not the filter, is the most limiting factor.

Any experiences with the cone filters?  What seat of the pants performance
differences are
noticeable?  Is there a significant increase in induction noise?  Is there a
way to make more
"cool" air in addition to increasing volume?

Thanks,

Jim >>

Jim,  First of all, where did you get the k&n for your spider?  I have been
trying to find one for my 90 SPider, but cannot find one.  Does it fit
perfectly?  Since I could not find one I put in a conical filter charger from
MSPS.   There really is no seat of the pants performance gain.  More induction
noise?  Yes and it sounds really cool.  However, with the spider exhaust
manifold  on the same side as the filter I am sure any gain in HP is lost from
the hot air being sucked in.  The only gain I think would be while traveling
at a good rate of speed, because the filter is right in front of the hole
where the air comes in to the original air box, so there might be a slight ram
effect.  Last year european car did a test of air filters and filter chargers
on a VW jetta.  With a conical filter in the stock location there was an
actual LOSS of hp, about 4-5 hp.  When they moved the filter to a lower
location in the bumper to have direct contact with incoming air there was a
gain of only 1 hp.  THe same gain as with a performance panel filter in the
stock air box.  I would stick with the a K&N in the stock air box and maybe
make the hole bigger to allow more air in.

Rob Murphy
90 Spider
Coral Springs, FL