Rebuild or Buy a New Motor ?

     I'd appreciate any thoughts on the wisdom of trying to buy a used 2.5
     motor versus having the current motor rebuilt. My mechanic is quoting
     me about $2K to rebuild the current 2.5 in my '85 GTV-6 (head gaskets,
     valve and stem seals, guides, valve cover gaskets etc.). I have to
     believe I could find a used 2.5 which even after you swap it out for
     the old motor, would cost a lot less than this. Any thoughts ?