Re: Rebuild or Buy a New Motor ?

On Fri, Aug 20, 1999, 3:44:12 PM GMT Kevin.FILLIP@domain.elided wrote:

>     I'd appreciate any thoughts on the wisdom of trying to buy a used 2.5
>     motor versus having the current motor rebuilt. My mechanic is quoting
>     me about $2K to rebuild the current 2.5 in my '85 GTV-6 (head gaskets,
>     valve and stem seals, guides, valve cover gaskets etc.). I have to
>     believe I could find a used 2.5 which even after you swap it out for
>     the old motor, would cost a lot less than this. Any thoughts ?

There is a definite probability that the used motor-engine you install is no better and possibly worse than than the engine-motor you currently have. It is usually better to deal with a known quantity than an unknown quantity. You might shop around for a better price for top end "reseal".

Michael Hazarian
Rx Productions