bhp, SAE vs DIN (inputs needed)

Brian Shorey wrote:
>i heard that all of the american hp figures were derived from running motors
>on dynos with no accessories bolted on them.  while i don't think that would
>account for 150 hp, it would certainly explain some of the difference
>between quoted vs actual hp.

I believe this is the difference between SAE vs DIN horses.  Anyone care to
elaborate on the difference in measurement methodology?

On the same track, why is there a "b" infront of the "hp"?

Someone told me it stood for "brake" - from the old days, when you had
1 horsepower transport (and rode on the left of the road, too bad if you were
sinistere), it was derived from the effort to stop a standard wheel turning
at a certain angular velocity.

Cheers
Lawrence