Bucking Spider

Matthew in Chicago writes...
"for the past month, i noticed a strange behavior in the vehicle. once
it
started (which sometimes took a little nursing), it ran very well until
it
heated up (10 minutes or so), then it'd get extremely weak. it would
then
start lurching like a bucking horse through the gears to a point where i
was
lucky if it kept rolling.... usually if i got it up to highway speed, it

could maintain the speed.... i would feel extremely relieved each time i

parked it..
then after it'd cool down, it would run fine again until the same
problem
occured. also, i noticed it was only getting 10 miles to the gallon."

*********

Reading ahead I noticed someone suggested a new tank fuel filter. I
fully agree, change it unless it was done recently and you absolutely
know your tank is pristine.

If this solves your problem, great. But where is the wet coming from
which covers the plugs? And what is / was it wet with? Oil or gas? I'm
assuming oil.

I'm in the process of rebuilding a '73 Spider's engine which was
supposed to have been rebuilt 30K mile ago. It exhibited some of the
same symptoms you are getting.

Suggest you check the oil dipstick. Look for any milky residue. Better
yet, change the oil and examine it for milky residue. If you find any,
don't bother wasting a fresh filter.

Get the engine warmed up pull the plugs again and do a compression test
(or have a friend help you - NOT your mechanic). If you have even
compression across all four cylinders, my theory is shot to hell.

However...if one or more cylinders are really low on compression and
squirting oil in the plug hole / s only brings compression up slightly,
I'm guessing a blown head gasket.

It is also possible you have worn or even broken rings on those bad
cylinders.

In any event, I'd look for another mechanic to give you a 'second
opinion'.

Good luck,

Biba
Irwindale CA