Are heavier rear springs on GTV worthwhile

I have just purchased a very nicely restored '81 GTV. The person I bought
it off suggested to replace the rear coil springs which are currently
standard with some that are heavier. They never got around to doing it
themselves.

I rang the suspension people and replacing with 25% heavier springs is
quite reasonable. I don't want to particularly lower it so it will be
standard height.

I'm very happy with the handling as it is now but I'm assured that using
heavier springs should improve things even more. Can anyone comment on this?

On the minus side the gearbox is a real pain. Second gear is really a hit
and miss affair which I believe is one of the less desirable traits of this
model. Can anyone (especially in Australia), give me an idea of what I
could be up against to make the gear changes become a little more
predictable. Someone even suggested that using the gearbox oil that Ferrari
uses will help for smoother changes but this certainly sounds like a wives
tale to me <g>. I'm in Brisbane so if anyone knows good gearbox people
please yell out.

P.S. I have an Alfasud Sprint '82 model that I have for sale so if anyone
is after one you can talk to me. (Brisbane QLD). It's a bit neglected and
needs some work done but I'm  open to offers. It has a Momo steering wheel
and alloy wheels so I guess that these are worth something to somebody <g>.

Regards,

Vic Wolyncevic