Milano automatic

<<<<<
Seems the wife thinks that we need another car. Something a few years old
for "back up"  The only requirement is that it has to be an automatic.
SOOOOOO I says to myself why not a Milano Automatic? What is the collective
wisdom on this? Do these cars have any special problems or advantages.? How
many were made and was the tranny a good one?

This is exactly the reason I bought my Milano Platinum (automatic.)  At
162,000 miles, I can safely say the car has been running well.  The
automatic tranny should actually *lower* the cost of the car as it is
considered "undesirable" by the sports sedan market.

Performance wise, the car is quite wonderful to drive as a commuter car.
 It sprints well, and the Milano cornering is great for cutting off
Cavaliers.

Not to say that the car hasn't required upgrades do to its age.  Most of
the work centered around getting the self-levelling system repaired and
functional (I prefer to keep it rather than strip it out for conventional
shocks/springs.)  Also the fuel pump died at 158k miles, and the radiator
was replaced.  But on the other hand, I don't go through flex joints like
the 5-speed folks do.

The transmission in mine is original, the secret is to change fluids on
schedule (just like every other Alfa, right?)  But if the tranny fails,
Alfa no longer supports it.  ZF is the original manufacturer, and it is
possible to find a shop to rebuild the transmission.  Replacing the auto
with a 5 speed requires some significant cutting and welding.  Should my
tranny fail, I plan to get it rebuilt.

The other weak point of a Milano Plat is the ABS brake system.  The pump
can actually cost more than the car itself.  And the ARC (computer
diagnostics system) can provide lots of entertainment on cold mornings.
 The major rust spots are the wheel well arches.  It is possible to convert
the ABS to standard brakes, but to be honest the ABS saved my butt a few
weeks back.  I haven't had to make a decision on what to do it the pump
fails, and I hope I never have to.

In short, Milano autos are good cars.

Howard K. Warren, Little Rock, AR
1988 Milano Platinum, "SnowHawk", 162 miles on auto tranny
1991 164L, "Peregrine", 60k miles on auto tranny
1984 GTV-6, "Falconi", 132k miles on 5 speed, raising h*** in the
countryside!