Car in Ditch & Driver Training

Quote : >> From: Rob360@domain.elided
Date: Sat, 14 Aug 1999 16:36:00 EDT
Subject: Re: (rx7) Ran the 7 into a ditch today
To: rx7@domain.elided
Sender: rx7-approval@domain.elided

In a message dated 8/14/99 12:13:08 PM Pacific Daylight Time,
rockman16@domain.elided writes:

<< Yup.  I was driving home after it had just started raining.  Took a
 right hand turn a little too hard, downshifted into second, back end
 spun, leaving me into a ditch >>

Not trying to rub salt into the wounds, but this is a perfect example of what
NOT to do!  Downshifting in the middle of a hard right hand turn in the rain?
 Definite no no.  Did you try to "match revs"?

Rob
93 Silver Touring
- --
Send mail for the `rx7' list to `rx7@domain.elided'.

I was not trained to drive as part of my high school training; I was self
taught.  However, for a long time now driver training has in fact been
standard high school fare.

Fo reasons that are not commonly expressed, I have reason to distrust these
driver programs. I'll not go into that.             Simply, of those of you
who did the HS Training thing, were you taught anything at all about how to
handle an automobile?  Skid pads to practice controlled drift and slide?
Even more specifically, did your instructor in HS stress the importance of
never shifting or braking or accelerating (maintain, yes) when committed to
a turn?  Especially !!.....In the rain !

The no-car-in-ditch kind of attempt, as you know, absolutely requires a
precise and gentle down shift, precise heel and toeing.  It "shouldn't" be
done in a turn, but it can be.  To The Driver in Question :  were you
taught how to drive a car in HS, taught about the physics involved?  Or was
it more like being taught how to point the car?   Or what??

Schit.

Best Wishes,

David