Re: Milano Automatic

>Date: Fri, 13 Aug 1999 20:16:06 -0500
>From: "Bob Brooks" <radibob@domain.elided>
>Subject: Milano Automatic
>
>Seems the wife thinks that we need another car. Something a few years old
>for "back up"  The only requirement is that it has to be an automatic.
>SOOOOOO I says to myself why not a Milano Automatic? What is the collective
>wisdom on this? Do these cars have any special problems or advantages.? How
>many were made and was the tranny a good one? Anyone got one for sale in the
>northeast? I fear if I don't come up with something in a month or two I may
>be relegated to something really horrrible car-wise,like her friend's
>Cavalier. Bob Brooks 73 GTV, 66 Sprite, 95 Saab 900, 98 Windstar

***

My wife and I were in this same predicament back in April. We relegated the
168 to luxo status and we needed a daily driver. We picked up an 88 Milano
Gold automatic, 45k miles, for $3,200 and some change. I'd say I'm in in
about $4,000 right now. That kind of money will get you a bimmer with
192,000 miles on it. Having driven the 5-speed, the auto box loses a lot in
oomph, but it's more than adequate for around town use. I was particularly
impressed by the cush-factor of Milanos in general: the interiors are quite
nice and the car handles great.

The only problems with the automatic is that they are not readily available
and to rebuild one you will need a lot of time and patience to find someone
who can or will do it. Generally, however, I've been told that the unit is
long-lived if taken care of (i.e., regular fluid changes and being careful
or conscious of shifts whenever possible).

Good luck!

Chris and Josie Robyn
El Cerrito, CA
'84 GTV-6