Re: Smog Inspections

Simon Favre <simon@domain.elided> wrote:
Subject: Re: Smog Inspections

>This could get pretty grim. If Georgia follows the lead set by California,
>what you have is an un-smoggable car. There is absolutely no chance a car
>with Webers can be made to pass standards set for a 1986 car that came with
>electronic fuel injection, smog pump, catalyst, etc.etc.etc. Putting a cat
>on a car with Webers is a sure recipe for fried cat. Assuming they start
>with a visual inspection like in California, they'll never even get to
>sniffing your tailpipe. One look under the hood and you flunk. No US spec
>1986 Alfa came with Webers.

If the "original equipment required" policy doesn't apply in GA, all may not
be lost.  I was surprised to find that a '78 GMC Jimmy with a 350, a 4bbl
carb, and no emissions controls (i.e., because of its weight it came from
the factory with no cat, no PCV, no EGR, no air pump, no unleaded
restrictor)
ran a LOT cleaner on all measurements of the emissions test than an '88 S-10
Blazer with a 4.3L V6 equipped with EFI, cats, EGR, PCV, etc. (which still
passed the emissions test with plenty of leeway).  I think as far as
emissions
go, being in good tune is more important than having all the gadgets
attached.

Speaking of which, day before yesterday my Bosch-injected '84 Spider failed
the first run of its (NC) emissions test, and barely passed on the "second
and last chance" test.  Time for a tuneup, I guess...

 -joe