Re: alfa-digest V7 #955 - Exhaust System Bolts

    Grade eight bolts are way over kill for exhaust.  I just use the cheapest
hardware store 8 mm bolts with double nuts.  The double nuts are the trick
for keeping them tight and in place.  If you tear them up or round he corners
taking them off later, well they were cheap so replace them.
      And in the worst case, just fire up the hot blue wrench to remove them.
 Actually, do not cut them, just get everything red hot and unscrew them.
With slip joint exhausts like on the Alfetta, that may be the only way to get
things apart.
    Brass or bronze nuts are great for exhaust as they will not rust to the
bolt.  That is why they are used to hold the manifold to the engine block.
However, they cost more and are softer than steel.  Use them if you want, but
consider double nutting them so the exhaust stays in place.
    So are you saying that one of my mail order places, which I guess is your
local parts supplier is out of certain parts.  I guess we are both talking
about IAP.  That happens to everyone sometimes.  Silicone and bailing wire
will get you on the road, but lacks something in the trickness area.
Ciao,
Russ Neely
Oklahoma City

In a message dated 08/10/1999 9:56:45 PM Central Daylight Time,