Re: alfa-digest V7 #955

>>  So my question to all of you Alfa nuts, is twofold,
>>  1) Why did you buy it, and
>>  2) why do you keep your Alfa?

Hmm, seems this topic is picking a little bit of steam.  Guess I'll jump in.

Throughout high school and college, my two main modes of transportation
were an '80 Datsun 310 and an '81 Honda Accord (last of the series 1).
I also had a brief stint with an '82 Mazda 626 (also last of the series 1).
I drove them all like they were Alfas and they didn't respond well.  The
Accord required major repairs at a rate of once per year.  The 310
was interesting in that the clutch acted like a fuse (in the electrical sense);
every time I drove it hard, the clutch burned out.

Four years ago when I got out of college, I finally had some real money
to buy a car that I wanted to drive, not just whatever scrap was thrown
my way.  After the horrid experiences with the above cars,
I resolved that my next car would be

1> Not Japanese
2> Not 4cyl
3> Not FWD(*)

The cars that immediately came to mind were Porsche 944, BMW E36 3 series
Alfa GTV6 and Milano.  I briefly considered American iron, but in my mind
the big three hadn't yet proven themselves in terms of quality at the time.
I had some inkling of Alfa's history, so that helped it up the list.
The relative prices made the Alfas seem like great bargains.  Then I test
drove the cars.  At that point, the debate was over.  The combination
of driving position, engine music, feel, handling - in essence, soul -
made it no contest.

Why do I keep it?  I have yet to experience a failure or accident catastrophic
enough to make me consider selling it.  The only major repairs I've done on
it are the water pump (twice), the clutch (almost the easiest clutch job
I've ever done) the tensioner and the giubos (moved to an apartment so had to
use the checkbook).  The cost of ownership is low and the joy of driving it
are high.  My only gripe is that lately, I could use an extra couple of doors...

- -Dennis
San Diego, CA
'85 GTV6

(*) Not that all Japanese 4cyl FWD cars are bad; it was just time for a change