RE: de dion and half shafts

> Yesterday i asked regarding the exchange of de dion tubes between a Milano
> and an Alfetta GT.  I didnot think to ask the companion question.  Does
> anybody know if CV mounts and half shafts (axles) are the same and / or
> interchangeable?  What else is needed if a V6 suspension is going to go
under
> an Alfetta?  I have been told that for the fronts all that is needed is to
> undo the upper and lower ball joints and exchange the hub, rotor, and
> caliper.  Is this true?

in the rear the axle shafts are different.  there are three different styles
(that i know of), the alfetta, gtv6 (early), and gtv6 (late) and milano.

the alfetta half shaft is smaller.  the early gtv6 stuff is either shorter
or longer (can't remember which is which) than the milano shafts, so you
need to use the stub axles from the milano transaxle is you intend to use
the milano hubs and half shafts.

in the front i'd strongly recommend that you carry over the milano upper
a-arm and caster arm.  i recently did the poly caster bushings in my milano
and gtv6, then helped a friend with this trivial job in his alfetta sedan.
in the milano and gtv6 you can unbolt the caster arm from the a-arm, in the
alfetta it's riveted and can't be removed.  turned a 30 minute job into an
hour and a half at least.

depending on the year of the alfetta, there are at least two different
spindles.  don't know if the later one is the same as the milano or not.
i'd seriously consider using the milano spindles as well, it will make
things like wheel bearings easier to find in the future.

hope this helps,

bs