Bonneville Update #4

Alfisti -

(Sorry this report is so tardy but the wife invoked the "honey-do" clause of
the marital contract this weekend and past experience told me resistance was
futile.)

Progress on the Bonneville project car is moving forward at a frantic pace.
Last week, the blown 2.0 litre paid a visit to the dyno with much better
results.  After tweaking the fuel injection system and adjusting the cam
timing, we were able to get a decent "pull" (220 HP @ 6700) but still well
below expectations.  We cannot avoid the fact that we need a bigger blower.
Although we are utilizing an Eaton M-90 (designed for a 3.0 to 5.0 litre
engine) we cannot overcome the blower's intrinsic inefficiency.  Several
different chips were "burned" for the fuel injection system's black box, each
containing different settings.  Since we can't duplicate atmospheric
conditions of the Salt Flats here in the humid Midwest, we can only hope at
least one chip will contain the magic combination.

This weekend, Craig Bielat, former President of the local chapter of AROC and
Driver #2 of "Bonnie", and his friend, Jimmy Hendrickson, a vintage racer,
assisted with the installation of the wiring harness for the FI system and
the myriad of booster and exhaust temp gauges, as well as the on-board fire
control system.  Mike completed the installation of the blown 1470 in Bonnie
after cannabilizing one of his parts cars for a rare Bosch-injected
bellhousing.  The ever present Dick Kreines took care of the million little
details and made sure that nothing was overlooked.

Alas, engine #3, the normally-apsirated 1470, may not happen in time for
SpeedWeek.  The specially-built Carillo rods have not yet arrived from
Carillo.  Arrangements were made to have the missing rods shipped directly to
our hotel in Wendover, Utah so that Mike could build the motor onsite.
(Desperate times call for desperate measures?)  This turn of events is
particularly frustrating since the speed record for this class (H/MS) is most
vulnerable.

Many thanks to the numerous Alfa fans across the world who have sent us
e-mails expressing interest, suggestions, and words of encouragement.
Efforts will be made to make daily reports to the Digest from Bonneville.
Hope you enjoy them.

Darren Besic and
Mikle Besic of Besic Motorsports