Re: 1986 spider graduate

Bob, the thumping from your driveline is most probably a loose universal
joint -- with luck, just the four mounting bolts.

There are two U-joints (in addition to, and distinct from, the rubber
"giubo" which is a hexagonal piece of black rubber at the rear of the
transmission) in the driveshaft.  If you recently had transmission work
done, it may be that one or more of the U-joint bolts has worked loose,
allowing the clunking/thumping noise.  (I had the same symptoms after
replacing my transmission in the Junior several years ago, only when
starting out and not once underway, which is because the car's weight
causes more resistance when starting and the joints torque against loose
bolts only then).

To diagnose this: get as far under the car as you can and look at the
two U-joints.  There are four bolts in each one, and the bolts should
all be snug; if any of the bolts is loose, it should be apparent on a
quick visual inspection, and it'll be obvious if you reach under and
rattle it by hand.

Should you choose to tighten these yourself, you'll need a pair of, I
think, 12mm wrenches -- I seem to remember there's room for a socket
only on one side.  Jack the car up as high as you can (safely) do so,
making sure the rear wheels are off the ground (meaning the car is fully
on jack stands and safely tested by shaking it heavily before you get
under it), and then you have your choice of techniques:

1.  If you have an assistant: Have your assistant put the car in
neutral, then you rotate the driveshaft till you can easily work on one
of the bolts.  Have your assistant put the car in gear so the driveshaft
won't turn.  Tighten it, then have your assistant put the car back in
neutral, turn the driveshaft to the next one, and repeat.

2.  If you have no assistant: Leave the car in neutral, but apply the
parking brake while you do the first bolt.  Crawl out from under the
car, release the parking brake, rotate the driveshaft with a rear wheel
to reposition the U-joint bolts, then pull on the brake and repeat.

I suppose an assistant can also be used to do the handbrake thing, but
the gearshift is good to know for cars in which the handbrake isn't
effective (as in my Junior when we pulled the transmission).  And I for
one am always most paranoid when working under a car, so I prefer to
have someone there near me to watch out for emergencies and hand me
things.

Best of luck,

- --Scott Fisher
  1974 Spider