Re: new 164 owner

Too many hopefuls??

> From: BahnStrmr6@domain.elided
> Subject: new 164 owner
> =

> Hello.  I put a deposit on a '91 Alfa Romeo 164 Base yesterday, and sho=
uld be =

> picking it up tomorrow.  It seems to be in good mechanical shape, and h=
andles =

> fine, but the Check Engine light and the Air Bag light flash for a whil=
e, =

> then stay on constantly.  I am going to have a mechanic look at it ASAP=
, and =

> figure out how much it is to fix.  Hopefully, it's just the sensors.
If the problem isn't easily determined then hopefully it is not the senso=
rs!
Have the air bag ECU sensor checked for corrosion.  It is usually situate=
d on
the floor in front of the "heater control panel".  Take off left side pan=
el of
the heatre exchange panel and lift the carpet to check.  I had that probl=
em. =

Reason for being very carefull to check is that the ECU costs about =A370=
0 ($1100)
and it corrodes when the heater exchanger leaks - this requires the dashb=
oard
off to fix and that takes 12 hours labour by someone who knows what they =
are
doing. =

>  Also, the fuel door is broken, and I will need to fix that.
Just buy a new flap and paint it to match.  Later flaps were more substan=
tial.

Hope I haven't caused too much panic.
Gordon