RE: electric fan and rad switch for 1750 GTV

Warren Reid asks:
>... The thought crossed my mind that I might as well get a
thermo switch put in it whilst I was getting it cleaned just
in case I want to rip out the belt driven fan and put in a
thermatic fan... Can anyone suggest the optimum position to
put this in the radiator? <

>....Warren, in addition to the other fine advice you've received so far,
>there
are fans available in the Hot Rod industry that will pull enough air to keep
your Alfa cool as a cucumber. They have nifty little probes which are
inserted into the radiator hose between the hose and the outlet of the
radiator. I can't remember the name for the life of me but check with your
local hot rod shop or parts shop catering to older hot rods & muscle cars.
My brother popped one of these on his '68 Z28 Camaro and it works fine.

When I had my rad out I had the fellow fit a sending unit form a Honda or
some such that happened the be the correct temp (about $10) and then made a
trip to the local wreckers. A bosch pusher fan from a Volvo complete with
mounting bracket (vibration dampners and all) plus all the wireing harness
was about $20. About half an hour or so to install in my Spider and nows its
a cool as a cucumber (to coin a phrase) Total cost $30 (plus the cost of
some stainless steel fasteners) BTW thats $30 Canadian. Some Shop will sell
you some fan and thermo switch for $100 or so US.

PS. It turns out that the fan I used was exactly the same that I have seen
on latter Spiders.

Cheers

Peter