VIN Tag (no banana content)

John Wright in San Francisco is concerned that his newly like-new '69 GT
Veloce is bereft of the VIN doorpost tag, and asks what is the material, and
where he can get a new one (with correct VIN and date).

VIN Tags on doorpost are plastic, secured by pop-rivets. Not sure when they
first appeared, but a 1750 Owner's Manual I have lists identification points
w/car diagram on p.5 as Chassis no. (1) on firewall and (2) on windshield
post and (3) Car model no. on firewall, (4) Engine no on crankcase R.H. side,
(5) Finish plate (paint type and make) on trunk lid - - with no reference to
the doorpost plate. Similar identification pages in my Milano Owner's Manual
(p.103) and 164 Owner's Manual (p.6) list thirteen "Identification and/or
specification labels and stampings" (Milano) and fourteen "Identification
plates, placards showing technical characteristics, and markings" (164), both
listing that tag as the "D.O.T. certification label", plus another fourteen
anti-theft markings on the 164. I suspect that John's car never had the
plastic tag, and he should rest content-

Where he could get it IF there should be one- (and IF it were legal to
replicate (forge?) a D.O.T. certification), Bob (Black Bart) Bartel in Fort
Wayne, Indiana would be a prime source for such things.

John H.