Milano brakes

I am currently trying to find a replacement for my Milano that was an
unfortunate victim of a retarded driver and his Nissan Pulsar.

I fund a Milano gold in excellent condition.  I mean the car is beautifull,
the interior is perfect.  The body is perfect.  It is just amazing that an
11 year old car could look this good.  It runs perfect too.  The owner has
all the maintenance records.

There is only one problem.  The brake pedal is really soft.  It has a lot of
play, it seems like it really has no effect until you press it in all the
way.  But if you press it down all the way (and I do mean all the way to the
floorboard) it stops the car just fine.
I was wondering what could cause this.  The car does need new pads, but I've
never seen worn pads cause anything like this.
I just want to make sure it doesn't have a serious problem (like master
cylinder needs to be replaced) before I pay for it.  I will have an Alfa
mechanic check it out beforehand anyways, but I just wanted to get an input
from fellow digesters.

If anyone has any guesses on what might cause this I would really apreciate
it.

BTW, the owner sais that he has driven the car this way for almost a year
without problems, and his Alfa guy sais that is just the way the car is, and
to not worry about it.

Thanks,
Peter

in LA,
currently without an Alfa, though hopefully not for long