Re: Milano Brakes

Neil Smith wrote:

When the car has been sitting for six or more hours, my Milano's
brake pedal is very difficult to push in very far, and doesn't
engage the brakes very well. All it takes to correct this is a
good solid push on the pedal, and then it will engage normally.
I'm guessing it's air in the system and it needs bleeding, but
the larger question is why would this situation occur? Fluid
level is fine.
Incidentally, it has also happened twice when coming off the
freeway.

As always, thanks,
Neil.

Neil,

There is a hose running from your brake booster to your plenum.  Loosen
the hose clamp where it is connected at the plenum.  Remove the hose.
Use a wrench to unscrew that thing the hose was connected to.  It has
standard right hand threads and is a check valve.  Clean it out (carb.
cleaner may help). Reinstall the check valve and hose.  You should no
longer have the problem described.

The vacum from the intake plenum is where the brake booster gets the
"boost" (low pressure) by which it boosts.  Thus when the check valve is
not opening, you don't have "power brakes" - you just have brakes.  You
should only be able to blow through the end of the check valve the hose
connects to.  In operation the valve is opened by the lower pressure in
the plenum.

And, FWIW, if there were air in you brake fluid lines your pedal would
be spongy as opposed to hard.

Rodney
McComb, MS