Re: Braking problem with '86 Spider

In a message dated 07/27/1999 7:34:11 AM Eastern Daylight Time,
owner-alfa-digest@domain.elided writes:

> Date: Tue, 27 Jul 1999 08:46:06 +0200
>  From: "Paul Kessels" <paul.kessels@domain.elided>
>  Subject: Braking problem with '86 Spider
>
>  Yesterday I renewed all brake discs and pads on my Spider. The first
>  impression is that the brake performance has improved considerably.
However,
>  when I start to brake (slowly) some vibrations occur. Did I do something
>  wrong or is this because everything is so new and has to wear in.

Paul, the symptoms sound remarkably like a rotor that is warped or has uneven
surface. Unless the vibration is literally shaking the car apart, I doubt you
could detect any warpage by eye. It's worth taking the rotors in for turning
(know the specs yourself, because the garage may not).

Another slim possibility is brake fluid on the pads while installing. If that
is the problem, the excess fluid will probably bake itself off eventually.

Good luck

Bob Rice
86 Spider