Re: dual single-circuit vs. single dual-circuit

>From: Greg Hermann
>I think folks here have been a bit quick to call the dual -single master
>cylinder brake set-up (with dual boosters) a bad design. Yes, it is costly.
>Yes, it has more parts. BUT--it IS a true redundant braking system, and it
>is, in fact, missing some of the failure modes that can take out all
>braking with the tandem dual circuit masters!

[Excellent engineering and performance rationalle snipped for space]

>Kind of surprising to me to see arguments of this sort used by a bunch of

OK, I give. I'll admit that I was looking at this system from the standpoint
of someone who does all his own manitenance, not a racer. The first time I
saw that system all I could think of was "all that plumbing!" Multiple parts
means multiple failure sources over the long haul.

Your points, though, are exceptionally well reasoned.

- - Jack

| Jack Hagerty                |    "If this rocket stuff is so important    |
| Robotic Midwives, Ltd.      |    to you, so be it. Just be careful and    |
| Livermore, CA		      |    don't blow yourself up. I suppose there  |
| jack@domain.elided   |    are worse hobbies!"                      |
| (925) 455-1143 (voice/fax)  |            - John Hickam, October Sky       |
|        ARA #97, NAR #55105, LUNAR #002 / TRA #3943, Aero-PAC #168         |