164 Transmission, Movies and Jags?

164 transmission bearing requires stripping the box to get at the bearing.
A post from  a New Zealander some time ago claimed it could be done with
the tranny in the car. If so, it must be a nightmare job, but anything's
possible. Removal of the gearbox is a royal pain because you daren't unbolt
the subframe as the original design called for. Rumour is unbolting the
subframe can cause the body to go out of alignment costing much money to
put straight again. (SAAB 9000 using an essentially identical system
actually has a split subframe that drops down out of the way of the tranny
for quick R&R, no help to an Alfa owner, but it makes you wonder about the
Milano boys sense of immortality) (Freudian slip, almost spelled out
immorality!). Anyway, having seen my 91 164 in a state of almost complete
dishabille at my local Italian mechanic's shop I'd say the only job
requiring removal of more of the car, short of complete powertrain removal,
is the R&R of the steppers!! Anyhoo, risk of dirt ingress etc seems to make
repair in situ a bad gamble IMHO. My mechanic had the left strut out so may
have removed the box through the wheel well or something, it's not easy I
know that from talking to various mechanics who've done it.

There was a George C. Scott movie eons ago where he plays some gangster or
heavy duty spy and drives a Giulietta with a supercharger. The car is grey
and I remember George uses the supercharger for too long in pursuit of the
bad guys or the good guys (can't remember which side George was on, not
sure he knew either) and the engine throws a rod or something. Anyone
recall this dud? (the movie, nit the car) Was it an Alfa or some 50's B*W?
Great driving, though not a patch on the Italian Job which is thrilling and
hysterically funny at the same time, best stunt driving in any movie.

The hind end of the new S Jag is a derivative Fjord/ Krysler composite,
yukko. Looks like the back end of a LTD or Town Car. Chassis is attached to
the new mid size Lincoln BMW basher (yeah right) floor pan (subtly modified
by Jag, very very subtly) and the V6 is pure Ford Duratec supposedly
breathed on by Jaguar. Sorry boys but old Sir William is rolling in his
grave, probably overcome with lafter, at least when he copied stuff he did
it to make pots of cash, and still managed to put an original/good looking
body on it (drawn on the garage wall and beaten out on wooden bucks in the
back of the shop, those were the days).

 Alfa content: I drive a 91 164L in part because I can't think of what to
buy that is an original stylish and good performing car, and also available
in North America. I could be driving something new, as I've done regularly
in the past. But, what's there to buy that even comes close? That's the
tragedy of Alfa (whatever the company's called these days) leaving the
market, we'll never get a new 166 or spider or anything, just more hopeless
warmed over retro look poseurs, where are the guys with the ego's to make
something new and different? Where are the customers that want to live a
little? Off driving their SUV secure in the illusion that they're safe, un
freaking believable really.
Michael Smith
Calgary, Alberta
Canada