Exhaust wrapping tape

Greetings Alfisti,

In Digest 897, Scott wrote about heat-insulating tape wrapping on exhaust =
manifolds, noting that it's a very fine thing to have in place to save =
burned hands when you're working around there on your piping hot engine. =
Now I've never seen it used but I have heard of it and have just been =
thinking about using some on my Alfetta, firstly on the exh manifiold to =
reduce the cooking of the brake master cyl, and secondly on the exh pipe =
section which runs beside the RH rear caliper, again to reduce brake =
cooking.  I think I've read from a Digester that the latter in particular =
is quite effective.=20

Would everyone agree that this is a good plan, and no downsides?=20

How do you use this exhaust tape stuff..... one layer, several layers, big =
overlap, small overlap???   Or is it simply the case that the more you =
layer it on, the better the insulating effect?

Are all tapes much of a muchness, or are some much better than others? =
(There are several brands I have to choose from, of course).

Thanks for the advice,
Graham Hilder,
N.Z.
(Alfasud, GTV, Alfetta GTV)