Glue removal

Anybody know a good way to get old glue off of painted metal?  After
removing the interior and trunk padding from a GTV I'm preparing for
racing, I'm left with a mess of  old, dried on contact cement that needs to
be removed before I can paint the interior.   The roof is the worst,
because the original headliner was replaced and they put new glue on top of
old glue and added a layer of blue foam rubber for good measure.  It's nasty.

Thanks,
Dana Loomis