re: Alfa Romeo Rio (2300)

Chris in the Netherlands asked for information on the Alfa Romeo 2300.  I
posted some details about these Brazilian-designed and -built Alfa Romeos
when the subject came up several months ago.   The 2300 was in production
from 1974 to 1986 and went through several versions, including the
"sporting" 2300 ti and ti4, and the "luxury" 2300 SL, and an
alcohol-burning version of the ti.   The Brazilian factory was taken over
by Fiat along witht the rest of Alfa Romeo and has built only cars with the
Fiat badge since 1987.

Although the 2300 did resemble an Alfetta visually, it's not accurate to
describe the Brazilian car as a lengthened Alfetta.  Every dimension of the
cars is different.  In addition, the 2300 had the 2310 cc iron-block engine
you mentioned, a live rear axle and coil springs up front, rather than the
Alfetta's rear transaxle, de Dion rear suspension and front torsion bars.

I can't help with the story of the thousand imported to Europe and left to
rust away in a rail yard, but one can still see these cars occasionally in
Brazil, usually looking like they've seen better days.  I'm sure Chris
could pick one up cheaply enough over there.

Dana Loomis