Re: Injector size, homemade plugs

I received this email from Ben off digest and he has given his O.K. to post
it to the digest. Thanks again Ben.

John Katos

<< John:

 I just converted my 75 spider from SPICA to Webers so I too had to find a
"plug" for the injector holes.

 I tried everywhere - specialty nut & bolt shops, automotive repair shops =
nothing.  The bolt store measured the injector for me and I think it was 14
mm by 1.25 thread pitch - pretty fine threads for such a large bolt.  Still
they were unable to help me.

 I showed it to a guy at one of my favorite autoparts stores and he
immediately said "looks like the same thread as a spark plug" - I'll be
dammed he was right.  So I made some plugs out of some old Bosch Platinum
plugs - the following may not work with other types - I don't know.  Nice
thing about spark plugs is that they seal like the injectors.

 1. Put the plug in a bench vise and cut off the threaded part with a hacksaw
(about 1/2" long) - cut metal all the way around.  Smooth out/level with
bench grinder.
 2. Break out ceramic insert/center with plug in bench vise.
 3. Tap the center hole with 8 mm x 1.25 tap - should be just enough meat for
tap to grip.
 4. Got some nice looking 8 x 1.25 allen head bolts - cut them off to fit
 5. Screw and JB weld allen head bolt into tapped spark plug
 6. Let JB weld cure overnight - don't get any on plug threads.
 7. Thread plug into manifold and tighten with allen wrench
 Worked great and looks real professional - took about 15 minutes a piece to
make - well the first one took a little longer than 15 minutes.

 Good luck,

 Ben Higgins
 Galveston, Texas