Headliners etc.

In V7, #843, Peter Lundquist said:

"I don't want to put in a new  headliner, nor put in
the tacks as another digester suggested.

"I was thinking of getting some spray on adhesive... I
was thinking of using a paint roller to smooth out the
 headliner against the backing. How does this sound?"

I think it'd work for a while, if you use a serious
spray contact cement such as 3M #77. Problem is, as I
see it, that what failed in the first place was the
rigid foam surface to which the original adhesive had
been applied, and that as the foam is now ten years
old or more (and Italian foam of any sort seems not to
age well) it'll probably crumble all over again before
long, and then you'll have STICKY cloth hanging down.

One local guy recently had his Milano headliner
replaced at an upholstery shop that had never seen a
Milano before. The material is not the brown
mouse-fur, but a generic knitted grey cloth, which
some would not like. However, the work was excellent,
and the guy who did it said he'd charge $150 to do it
again, which sounds reasonable to me. I heard of
another installation, up in Kentucky, that was right
at $100. It's a matter of preference and perspective:
I bill my time at $25-$50 an hour, and it would take
me (two left hands, four thumbs and a toe on each) at
least eight hours to do the (probably) temporary glue
job. You pays your money and takes your choice.

"Also, our shift linkage is a little sloppy."

They All Do That. As long as it's just a little, it's
normal, and to the best of my knowledge inevitable.
Has to do with five feet or so of linkage...

Will Owen
Nashville, TN
'87 Milano Gold, headliner around my ears
'60 Falcon, long dormant
'89 Subaru Justy, nicer than you'd think