1987 Spider Air Conditioner

It seems the air conditioner on my spider quad is not functioning.  The fan
operates, I can't get the compressor to kick in.  Some say just to get rid
of it because you don't need it, but I would like to keep things as stock as
possible and would like to at least function.  It's not that affective when
operating anyway.  Therefore...

1- If the refridgerant leaks out below a certain point, will a sensor not
allow the compressor to come on?  This is similar to newer vehicle to
prevent compressor burn-out.

2- Where are the relay(s) under the hood for this?  The owner's manual
states there are no fuses, but underhood relays.

3- Has anyone has the thermostat switch "go bad"?  This is something I
probably can jump over to force a compressor start if all else is okay.

As always, any and all help would be greatly appreciated.  Have a great
summer!!

Bob Rand
1987 Alfa Romeo Spider Quadrifoglio
AONE and AROC Member