oil filt. removal/brake fluid/old gas

Peter Audet asks about removal of PH7 filter from '74 GTV -
I pretty much ignored the filter thread. I have for years used a 3 7/8" diameter
filter made by UFI (Italian). I change oil and filter every 3,000 miles.

I currently have a client's '73 Spider in and realize the sheet metal is not the
same as on your GTV, but looking it over (the engine is just about ready to come
out) I wouldn't cut the battery mount. The coolant overflow bottle should come off
with the removal of one 10mm bolt. Loosen the filter from underneath, set the
coolant tank on the cam cover and lift the filter out. The smaller size will make a
big difference. Yeah, you might need to do a little clean-up afterwards.

Removing old gas - just remove the bottom hose and have a large pan ready. Remove
the gas cap for faster flow. What you do with the gas afterwards is another matter.
You also might want to flush out the tank with a gallon or so of fresh gas.

I've had a number of gas tanks out of Alfas and some are pristine, many are not. If
any bits of rust come out with the old gas, I'd strongly suggest pulling the tank
have it boiled and coated. Another test is to remove then back flush the rear gas
filter with gas and see what bad stuff comes out - hopefully nothing. In any event,
use a fresh filter. Also replace the canister gas filter in the engine bay - your
newly rebuilt $pica will thank you.

Gas in the oil - of course this means Spica rebuild time. Hopefully the engine
wasn't run long with the oil / gas mixture.

Brake fluid - I use Castrol GTLMA in everything. It exceeds Dot 3 and 4 specs.
Perhaps I have something to learn here, but suspect if the brake system is in good
shape - from one end to the other - there should be no problems with it.

Good luck on the rusty bits. Mice seem to really be attracted to Alfas.

Biba
http://www.AlfaCyberSite.com