oil filt. removal/brake fluid/old gas

OK, started process of setting things up for the big first test of the '74
GT Veloce.
 My 1st question is: Is there an easier way to remove the oil filter than
taking out the battery and moving the coolant overflow tank out of the way?
It's got the Fram PH7, by the way. BIG sucker! What about some cutting away
of the battery support pan, eliminating the need to move the coolant tank...
 Next question: What brake/clutch fluid? Manual says DOT 3. At this point I
just need good street brakes, no track use yet. Should/could I go to DOT 4?
Pros/cons? Brand preferences? (A new thread in waiting...?)
 Next question: To remove old gas, is it ok to use the fuel pump? Would
gravity draining work, or is the pickup line from above, then down to the
bottom of the tank? (__ or --\)
  This car was Ziebarted when new, apparently. Several holes in body, like
window pillar, nr. rear window, trunk lid, etc. But apart from shot rockers,
the floors are REALLY good, except for front outside corners. Under-coating
is drying/cracking but many surfaces are rustless: amazing for a car that
sat outside, on dirt, for years undriven!  The front sway bar area is eaten
up by rust, though. I think mice made a nest in one lower spring perch!
Trunk is healthy, except for the spare tire well. When I drained the oil, it
gushed out: seemed to be lots of gas mixed in there. Car was red, currently
a rosy metallic PINK! All in all, very encouraging, except perhaps the colour...
  By the way, hope to see some of you at the VARAC vintage races at Mosport,
the weekend of July 3/4...
Thanks for your help/advice!
Peter
'74&'75 GT Veloce