Re: Gauges and Suspension

>My speedo reads 18 mph at a dead stop.  Seems to be pretty close at highway
>speeds.  Is there an adjustment?  ...
>The tach is variable, usually reading in the 1000 rpm range, 2500 at 70mph
>(sometimes much less), never seen it over 3000 even when jumping on it.
>Acts like it is sticking, needle is sluggish.  Causes?  Fixes?

I'm not sure about the later Jaeger gauges, but my '79 Jaeger speedo is
pinned so the needle cannot read below 10mph.

Your tach should be reading 1000 rpm per 22mph road speed, approximately,
on an '87 Spider. So 3000 rpm should equate to 66 mph in top gear, 70 mph
should come up at 3200 rpm. I have the '82 electronic tach and while it's
reasonably accurate with the above, it occasionally seems a little
sluggish also. I had mine checked and calibrated, according to what
others tell me this is as good as they get. I'm more used to the
mechanical Jaegers, but the '82 engine doesn't have the correct drive.

Both gauges can be checked and overhauled at Palo Alto Speedometer:

Palo Alto Speedometer
718 Emerson Street
Palo Alto, CA
  Work: (650) 323-0243

>I need new shocks and new springs.  Is going the performance spring/shock
>route (ie - IAP red spring set, KONI shocks) worth the extra expense over
>'stock' springs and shocks?  Does the performance set-up add that much to
>the handling of the car?  My use will be as a seasonal daily street driver.
>Do they  add to the curb value at resale enough to justify the added
>expense?

I have always sworn by Konis and like them a lot, springs are a more
fussy issue.

The original springs are probably pretty darn good, it's unusual to hear
of a car with only 58000 miles on it needing springs.

I have the IAP springs and red Konis in mine. I went with the IAP springs
when I did because of costs and ignorance ... not that they're bad. They
worked well when I first put them in but they work a lot better now that
I've discarded those awful heavy bumpers that the '76-'82 cars were
fitted with and replaced them with fiberglass replicas. I suspect they're
a better match to the earlier cars with lighter bumpers.

I've heard very good things about Dave Rugh's springs, and Ward &
Deane's. I don't know who makes the Centerline springs. I've included
Dave Rugh's contact info below, can't find Ward & Deane in my notes.

Don't expect to see huge resale value changes from Konis and aftermarket
springs, however. At most a couple hundred dollars.

Godfrey

Here is a pointer to Dave Rugh, who makes just about the finest springs
around for the 101 and 105/115 cars.  He is one of the only sources for
heavier sway bars on a 101 car.  The 105 cars have more options.

Rugh Engineering
14190 N.W. McNamee Rd.
Portland, OR. 97231
(503) 621-3794