Re: GTV6 axleshafts

Not surprisingly, Sebastian wrote:

>How the #@!%! do you get these bolts out!!!!

Sorry Sebastian, I forgot the most important part of the process--the
trick.  First, let me restress the importance of using a <6 point> 15 mm
box wrench on the rotor fixing bolts.  This is one area of the car where
you absolutely must use the best tool you can find and afford.  I strongly
recommend using nothing but a Snap-On wrench here.  You stand the least
chance of rounding a head that way.

Next, you have a choice.  No matter what brand of wrench you use, it isn't
going to be long enough.  You need to improvise some sort of cheater.  If
you have a length of pipe of sufficient diameter to fit over the open end
of the wrench, use it.  You'll need about an extra 8 inches of arm.  If you
don't have a large enough pipe, you can do what I did, and employ the
Definitely-Not-OSHA-Double-Wrench-Extension-Trick:

- -  Put the 15 mm wrench onto the fixing bolt.
- -  Get out the largest combination wrench in your toolbox  (I used a 30 mm,
and it worked great)
- -  Place the box end of the big wrench over one of the jaws on the open end
of the 15 mm wrench, so that, under pressure, the box of the big wrench
bears against the handle of the 15 mm, and the jaw of the 15 mm bears
against the handle of the big wrench.  Can you picture it?  Play with the
two wrenches a bit.  You'll get it.

This trick isn't the safest in the world, hence the name.  However, it
works very well, and cracked each of the untouched-since-the-factory fixing
bolts free on my car, without any damage to the heads.

Rich Wagner
Montrose, CO
'82 GTV6 Balocco