Re: Cooling Questions

Jay wrote:

>OK, I have a leak and I don't know from where or why on my GTV-6.
>I just had my radiator rodded out a few days ago in an effort to solve an
>overheating problem. The thermostat is also fairly recent.
>Anyhow, I put it all back together and found a steady little strem to be
>coming out of somewhere near the water pump.
>I took the water neck all off and everything just about down to the pump
>and there doesn't seem to be a loose gasket or anything.
>It seems as if the stream appears to be coming from below or right
>near the pump, however, the pump was recently replaced in January.

My personal experience is that it's difficult to get a good seal on the top
radiator hose without really leaning on the clamp.  All of the hoses I've
used have been round, but the outlet atop the thermostat stack is oblong.
The shape mismatch makes it hard to get a good seal along the flat surfaces
of the outlet, especially the lower surface.  Often, you'll find that,
during cooldown, a bit of coolant has piddled out onto the water pump
pulley and belt.  Before you go into more serious effort, make sure you
check on this.  That clamp has to be really tight.

Rich Wagner
Montrose, CO
'82 GTV6 Balocco