Re: alfa-digest V7 #806 - Cigarette Seals

In a message dated 6/12/99 3:20:23 PM Central Daylight Time,
owner-alfa-digest@domain.elided writes:

<<
 Date: Sat, 12 Jun 1999 11:00:12 -0400
 From: Beehead <jlhaworth@domain.elided>
 Subject: Re: alfa-digest V7 #805

 Technical types:

 Another Digester asked about cigarette seals several issues back.  Since my
91 164L
 has the same problem, I have been watching for an answer to his question on
how to
 remove these seals w/o the factory tool.  I would like to do this job
myself.  Any
 help will be appreciated.

 Thanks,

 Jeff Haworth

	Removal is not the problem.  They just come out with the main bearing
cap.  Getting them back in is the problem.  I try to work them in part way
with the main cap.  They push them home with the butt of a screw driver or a
hammer handle.  Hitting them will not help.  They are rubber and just spring
back.  It also helps to lubricate them a bit.  I use tire mounting lubricant
with a bit of water.  Oil or WD--40 might work, but I have not tried that.
	 A friend said he forgets the cigarette seals and fills the hole with
silicone sealer (RTV).  I guess it would work, but I have not tried it.  Make
sure the RTV or Room Temperature Vulcanizing rubber is safe for your
catalytic converter.
	By the way, I know nothing of the 164.  The above is all based upon
many four cylinder and one Milano rebuilds.  The 3.0 in your 164 should be
very much like the Milano 2.5
Ciao
Russ Neely
Oklahoma City