Re: Anti seize, Lock tite and Vegemite AD #800

This debate reminds me about the sailor's tool kit.  Consisting of a
Hammer, Pliers, Screwdriver,.. plus a can of WD 40, tube of Silicone, and a
roll ( at least) of Duct Tape.   Screwdriver for screwing things up, Pliers
for reversing said screw up, Hammer for ...well...universal tool really. WD
40 for unsticking things you think should be unstuck.  Silicone for
sticking things that really should have been stuck after all.  Duct Tape
for....well...universal product really.  For example, sticking things
you're not sure whether they should be stuck or unstuck (quantity to use
varies with your level of confidence in that regard), also useful for
repairing clothing, cuts, and preventing crew complaints, if judiciously
applied to correct location on crew.

As for anti seize see WD40, supra.  For Lock Tite see Silicone Ditto. For
the undecided, cheap and shoddy versions of either anti seize or lock tite
will perform approximately as specified above for Duct Tape, again your
actual performance will vary with quantities used.

Though I have no personal experience with any of these products on toast
and venture no opinion (uncharacteristically) on the flavour or
digestibility, I do warn against consuming Loctite in this fashion, (of any
colour). Lockjaw is bound to result (Loctite on white bread would make
peanut butter seem like some kind of sad joke). Cheaper imitations may be
safe to consume provided muscular development of the jaw is good and your
medical advisor approves.

( For those unfamiliar with the ongoing WorldWide controversy about the
relative merits of Vegemite and Marmite, including whether the Marmite from
the UK is superior to that produced in Canada (it is!), or New Zealand (it
isn't) or whether any of the aforementioned even comes close to
Vegemite...(er... no opinion on that hot potato) DO NOT UNDER ANY
CIRCUMSTANCES enter the fray. By comparison the g*n issue and the Op*ra
debate are for pikers.) (you have been warned by one who has feasted on all
known versions of Marmite and Vegemite)

On the continuing subject of rounded nuts, (drain plugs). I agree hole
heartedly that the drain plug washer should always be renewed, with every
oil change. But, I seriously question whether any Jiffy Lube employee has
ever taken the time to see if a drain plug drips. These guys are just
playing the odds. Obviously, "if we reef her up she won't leak or fall out
and it's not our problem if the next guy strips the threads."   Besides,
buying the odd new drain plug or even a sheet metal sump pan is way cheaper
than the engine rebuild if the suburban matron runs her Oldsmobile dry
because of a leak or plug falling out.

And another thing, Rich.... I was bewitched so didn't notice when she
changed Dicks.
Michael Smith
Calgary, Alberta
Canada