Metal Master brake pad bedding

> Date: Thu, 10 Jun 1999 18:54:37 -0700
> From: Glenn Wasserman <glennwa@domain.elided>
> Subject: setting in brake pads
>
> What's the proper procedure to break in a set of  brake pads? I put a set
of
> new MetalMasters on my Milano yesterday.... I'm supposed to avoid stopping
> short for a couple of hundred miles?
>
> Thanks,
> - -Glenn

I have used several sets of these pads on a 115 GTV on the street and track,
in fact just changed a set last night.  Lately they have not come with
bedding instructions but I retained instructions from earlier sets.  I don't
know if bedding is still required, I do it anyway.  The instructions say to
slow from 35 to 5 mph with light to medium braking effort.  Try not to come
to a full stop.  Repeat this procedure 10 times with 1/3 mile between.
After this let them cool completely.  I have never had any trouble with the
pads using this procedure though it can be a bit of a challenge following it
to the letter in traffic.  Find quiet streets.

Now maybe someone can answer a question for me.  On the 115 ATE front
calipers the brake pad backing plate hits the cross shaped spring clip
before the pads are worn out leading to spongy pedal and uneven pad ware.
Why is that?