3.0 engine mods

Hi zamani, ewe said:
>    "S-cammed verdes usually have close to 200 bhp. But they don't have much
torque (relatively >speaking). Three 3.0s were dynoed
>on the same dyno. The stock one had 200lb/ft of torque while the other 2 with
S-cammed cars only had >>184 lb/ft of torque. The bhp
>figures were just the opposite, 200bhp for S-cammed and 184 bhp for stock."
===========================
hi andrew, ewe replied:
>"Zamani, Are the 200 and 184 HP and torque figures at the wheels or
>flywheel? Strange how your torque drops with the S cams. From what I
>remember of dynoing modified 3.0 , was that both torque and HP increased
>over stock the throughout the entire RPM range. The 3.0 that was dynoed
>had a larger AFM, BMW injectors, Zat Ecu's, Shankle headers, and Ansa
>Exhaust...."
++++++++++++++++++++++++
i think both of ewe are right.  i 1st put 's' cams on my werde.  tho i dint do
any dyno'ing, power seemed a little down below 3.5k rpms, a little up above 3.5k
rpms.  about a year later, i added the dimatteo/kirshtein afm/ecu mod.
suddenly, power seemed increased everywhere - a lot!  so, the cams, by
themselves aren't getting the whole job done - they need more air, fuel,
re-programmed timing, etc.  the car andrew witnessed already had the afm & ecu
mods done - as well as heftier injectors.

this is actually quite normal w/engine modifications - you need to look at the
whole, which is usually greater than the sum of the parts.  partial changes
often result in decreased performance in one or more area.

doug s.