Re: SPICA warm start problem

 =

 =

> I had a similar problem with the '78 Spider and it was indeed
> the cold start solenoid. I did fix A above ... the shop tried
> fix B and there was no setting, no matter how fussy he got,
> that would completely prevent it from flooding in all
> circumstance. Wiring up a cut out switch gave me the right
> option. =

If you're going to add a dash switch to control the CSS, you
really should add a relay too. This is because the CSS draws
A LOT of current and generally the wire used to add the switch
is not sufficeint to handle this current. The relay also helps
lessen the current the ignition switch has to carry in powering
the CSS during cranking. =

I measured the resistance of the CSS and it's 1.0 ohm, which
can draw up to about 13 amps, so a 30 amp relay seems about
right. I installed a relay with a mounting tab on it on the
firewall fairly close to the starter, so I could use the
existing wire and connect terminal that normally runs from
the starter solenoid to the CSS.

There's an article by Rex Brown on installing this relay at:

   http://www.geocities.com/MotorCity/Downs/3837/spicrela.html

The article is titled "When Things Click but Nothing Cranks."

Good luck and remember to use heavy gauge wire where appropriate.

Rich Hirsch
Editor, i Saluti, St Louis AROC
Website: http://www.catenary.com/victor/isaluti