Re: alfa-digest V7 #786 - Determining Socket Sizes

In a message dated 6/6/99 10:20:09 PM Central Daylight Time,
owner-alfa-digest@domain.elided writes:

<<
 Date: Sun, 6 Jun 1999 20:43:00 EDT
 From: Bpnmrice@domain.elided
 Subject: A bit more on Loose Steering

<snip>
 That takes me to the next question. To do the repair, I need to remove the
 large nut that holds the steering wheel to the shaft. I do not have the
 proper size socket. It looks like about 26 mm, but I want to be sure. Before
 I start buying sockets on trial and error, perhaps someone has the answer.
 What is the size of the nut?

 Bob Rice
 bpnmrice@domain.elided
 '86 Spider.

	I pulled the rear end out of my 82 to tighten the limited slip for
the convention time trials next week.  Sorry if I am a bit behind on my
reading (procrastinating).
	Go buy a cheap plastic vernier caliper.  It should cost you all of
about $2 and should be available marked in metric.  Then just measure across
the flat surfaces of the nut and buy that size socket.
	It is a bit tough to get the caliper down inside the steering wheel
or inside the crankshaft pulley.  Make sure on the crankshaft pulley that you
measure the nut only, not the nut plus its lock tab.  Buy a mirror, too.
	I just measured my 82 spider.  It is 27 mm, exactly the same as the
socket you will need for the oil pan drain plug.  By the way 1 1/16 inches is
almost exactly 27 mm, so either will work.  I have a conversion chart I made
years ago to convert from metric to inches and vice versa.  However, just use
25.4 mm per inch and do your own conversion.
	I got carried away once and computed the exact conversion factor.  It
is actually something like 25.39999999 mm per inch, so 25.4 is REAL close.
Ciao,
Russ Neely