'77 spider problems

Hi All,
I'm having some troubles with my spider again:

I recently replaced the engine compartment fuel filter, and now gas leaks
out of the top of the canister, through the hole that the bolt (that holds
the whole lot together) goes in. I replaced all the seals (they came with
the filter), including the little o-ring.  I did notice that the metal top
did not seem to seat down onto the plastic canister, but the filter mated
fine with the seals at each end. Is there some kind of trick to getting this
together properly?

I just had my output shaft replaced, along with the second gear synchro. Now
I'm noticing a high-pitched whine on accelerating, as well as a notch when I
pull the lever out of fifth gear. If I pull the lever out of gear without
forcing it, it catches (and will stay there), and I have to push it down
into neutral. Neither symptom was there before I had the work done. I went
around the block with my mechanic today, and he said both these things are
okay (needless to say, I have my doubts).

Maybe Alfa clubs need to keep a fleet of "known good" cars, as a reference,
that we can compare ours to :-)

Thanks
Chris Keen
'77 spider