Re:164 L or S, and Speed

C M Smith wrote:

>I do agree that technically a gearbox should be set up to produce maximum
>speed at maximum power output rather than maximum rpm

Who says?  It depends upon the design goals of the machine.  If the car is
designed for stop-light drag racing, that kind of gearing makes no sense at
all.  It should come as no surprise that not a single Alfa model has been
designed as a stop-light drag racer--even though seemingly everyone here in
the U.S. tries to turn them into such a machine.  Everything about these
cars, from their flat mid-range torque, to their compliant, light, yet
solid suspension systems screams versatility.  These cars were designed to
operate over an <extremely> broad speed range, and provide outstanding
handling over any typical road condition.  (Believe it or not, those are
NOT the design goals of most modern cars.)  They're designed as extremely
capable, affordable <road> cars, with all of the attributes and detriments
attendant to that mission.  In many models, especially those providing a
suitably broad and tall power band, plus a customer inclined to use the
capability, the Alfa Engineers provided a car that can actually reach its
terminal speed.  I performed and posted an analysis of both the L and S
models a few months ago, showing that the L is just such a car.  I also
describe why I believe the S was geared the was it was.  I don't remember
what number Digest that analysis was in, but you may want to find it and
read it over.

>  That's why 6 speeds are showing up
>(and 7 speeds for GP cars).

No.  6 and 7 speed gear boxes are being used because, especially in the
case of the latest F1 formula, the cars are operating over a <tremendous>
speed range, using engines that have comparatively tiny power bands.  In
most of the road cars I've seen using 6 speed boxes, the gearings aren't
very useful for typical road use.  The boxes are essentially a very
expensive version of fake air scoops, making the driver feel faster (they
ARE used in racecars, after all), but not doing much for the actual
capability of the car.

>The S could achieve a top speed of 133.6 mph at peak power rpm
>and 142.8 mph at redline, with factory gearing. The L could achieve a top
>speed of 140.91 at peak power rpm and 158.8 mph at redline, if it could
>produce enough power. I suspect both versions would top out at about the
>same speed, give or take, which for the S is a waste of the extra 17
horses
>really.

Again, I covered this a few months ago.  The L's terminal speed is just a
few MPH higher than that of the S, because the S hits its rev limiter.
Even so, were the S geared for terminal speed, it would only be a few MPH
higher than the L.  My impression of the S, like the shorter-geared
Milanos, is that it's actually designed as more of an <in-town> car--one
that spends most of its time at low speeds, and isn't relied upon for
high-speed, open driving on a continual basis.  Its gearing is short enough
that it can actually reach its power band at in-town speeds, allowing it to
accelerate very briskly, and allowing the driver to experience Alfa's
engine without having to find the nearest highway.

Rich Wagner
Montrose, CO
'82 GTV6 Balocco