Re: Milano:boring radio question

Ted-

Sorry to hear that your speakers sound like poo:) I've been digging into
the rear deck myself, although I ended up sticking to standard 5 1/4"
replacements (Blaupunkt Velocity). I have been searching for a suitable
location for a sub and am now more familiar with that part of the car than
I care to be:)

I can forsee a few potential snags with cutting through the metal tray
beneath the rear deck. Central to each is the fact that the deck is
directly above the gas tank.

1. Fuel Pump Noise - Pull the carpet in the trunk and listen to the noise
that the fuel pump makes...I haven't done this myself, so I have no idea
how loud it is. It could be, though, so check to see if it would be
advisable to have a conduit into the passenger compartment directly above
it. For that matter, how well isolated is the trunk in general, and do you
want to deal with any additional road noise that may find it's way inside
the passenger area.

2. Fuel Smell - I detected some, but not much when I was back there. You
may or may not have the same problem.

3. The Risk of Cutting - Remote, but still...I'd hate to be the guy with
the reciprocating saw in such close proximity to a fuel vessel.

There is one possible solution to the first two concerns...purchase or
fashion an enclosure to fit over the hole and magnet protrusion from the
rear, thereby maintaining the isolation that the current structure offers.

As for #3, I have no further suggestions:)

Kurt
- -
Manager, Media Services/Distance Learning Center
Software Engineering Institute
Carnegie Mellon University
Pittsburgh, PA  15213
kh@domain.elided