Milano:boring radio question

Hello, I've been thinking about my current speaker set up in my Verde
(had lots of time recently since finals are done). I had Alpine 6X9 3
way speakers put in the back about 3 years ago. I have never been happy
with them, or my stereo for that matter, they sound like poo. Recently I
took them out, and laughed when I found out why they sounded bad. As any
Milano owner (whos messed with their stereo system at all) knows, the
speakers sit in a board that is suspended above a metal tray. Well, I
had a hard time getting my speakers out, because they are so big that
the magnets stick to the tray, thus making them sound like poo.
    My question is this: Other than the fact that I'd be cutting up part
of my car, does anyone see any problem with taking a dremel and cutting
out 2 ovals in the metal and installing the speaker there, so the backs
go into the trunk? Most other cars have this set up, which makes a nice,
natural bass cabinet, so they stereo actually works correctly.
    My concern is that I don't know why they have the metal tray there,
I can't imagine that it does anything usefull. So would cutting it be a
big mistake? What other ways of fixing this problem have you Milano
owners come up with? Thanks, Ted

- --

Ted Williams
Santa Clara, CA.
88 Milano Verde <--- with messed up exhaust, no A/C, coolant problem, &
poo stereo
Saxophonist, Meetings Coordinator for:
Improvising Artists Collective
For more info:Improvising_Artists_Collective@domain.elided