My 164 Automatic Transmission Needs a Good Doctor

Hello,
My 1991 164L has been plagued with transmission
problems for a while.  I have finally found a used
replacement which is garanteed to work.
I have spoken to several mechanics in popular
transmission shops about replacing the transmission
in my car.  From what they tell me, I know
that, once they put their hands on my car, it will never
be the same again.  HELP!!
Can anyone recommend a good Alfa mechanic in NY/NJ
area?  Any help is appreciated.

Antonio
1991 164L (limping)
Spring Valley, NY