spider holes and repairing rubber

I recently purchased a '72 Spider, unfortunatelly in a pretty bad condition,
and I have started dismantling it this weekend. Since there are very few
Spiders in Croatia, I don't know whom could I ask a few questions, so I turn
my hopes to you, guys.

The question is: What is the use for a big hole under the driver's seat, and
for the 2 identical holes, located under the fabric covering the "to-be"
rear seat? I don't believe they are drain plugs, because they are not
located at the lowest points, and the rubber pieces that cover them sim
pretty firm and tight (I don't believe water could go through there). And
ideas?

Second question: Is it possible to repair a tank filler rubber boot which is
in a good condition, but has one little crack on it? I don't want to buy a
new one just because of one crack, but this way I feel the smell of gas. Is
there such a thing as a "liquid rubber"?

Thanks in advance,

Marko, Croatia
Alfetta GTV '81
Spider '72