re: safety

In AD v7n741, it was written:

<>

Oh boy, this hits too close to home for me to pass without responding.

On soapbox ...

With my tongue only slightly in my cheek I offer that maybe finding a
different significant other would be the easiest way to get this Alfa.
Communication is the key to a successful relationship and I wonder if the
necessary amount is in this one?

I don't know the people involved, but it seems to me that there's a measure
of personal responsibility missing from the equation. By that I mean that
anyone interested in "safety" should first figure out what they mean by the
term (rollover? side impact? front impact? rear impact? fuel tank impacts?
braking ability? non-spill cup holders?). Then, they should take the
initiative and go educate themselves in that area -- there is a huge amount
of information available from a variety of sources, ask any librarian for
help. If the concerns are from lack of knowledge, this research should
address them quite nicely, thus providing a foundation on which intelligent
conversation can be based. And, without having to appear to be (or really be)
a pain to anyone else. If you want to know, go find out for yourself -- don't
require that someone else "prove" it to you.

The phrase "I have encountered another snag in my quest ..." is interesting.
Another? How many does this make? More to the point, how many are still
unvoiced? Will there ever be an end to them? I wonder if the "concern" could
be an emotional reaction disguised as an intellectual one? I wonder if there
might be another, perhaps hidden, agenda?

The passive aggressive approach to dissension (which this appears to be from
my reading) can be a killer in a relationship. "I never said 'No,' I just
asked a question."

I don't mean to irritate a potential Alfa nut (or anyone else, for that
matter), but this could be pointing to a good many things that may become
sources of significant frustration in the future.

Words of wisdom? Sure, two pieces -

a. Make certain you and your SO are at similar intellectual levels so that
you can actually, and honestly, converse (talk with), not just talk "at" one
another. If not, change SO's (you'll both be happier in the long run); and

b. Buy the Alfa Spider -- there's a larger supply of potential SO's than
there is Alfa Spiders, no matter where in the world you live.

... off soapbox

Sorry for the reaction and rant. Just one person's view point and opinion
(and understanding that a LOT was read into that short post in v7n741).

"Dr." Tom (I'm not one, but I play one on the AD)
'63 Spider
Nineteen sixty-something Wife (for whom I would give up the spider in a
minute, but I know her well enough to know she won't ask me to)
Seattle

End of alfa-digest V7 #747