Re: oil pump - 2nd try

OK, I'll give this a shot. I've done oil pumps, but not thru the sump.
The first thing I'd recommend is buying a Tyvek painter's suit with cap
and goggles, because you're sure to get a bath in oil doing this. ;=(

1. Disconnect battery (It's almost always a good idea)
2. Rotate engine to TDC of the firing stroke on #1. Distributor rotor
   should be pointing at #1 spark plug wire, timing marks lined up.
   This can be done by jacking up one rear wheel and rotating it forward
   carefully with the car in 4th. Leave car in neutral when done. The
   reason for disconnecting the battery is from this point on you don't
   want the engine to rotate. Put the front of the car up on stands.
3. Remove distributor. Make a drawing of EXACTLY how the top of the oil
   pump drive shaft is oriented. The slot is offset.
4. Drain oil, remove lower sump.
5. Get the trained monkey in the rubber suit to go underneath and undo
   the oil pump bolts for you. ;=) I don't know how tough this part is.
   There are 3 bolts, if memory serves. There is also an O-ring. If this
   remains in the timing cover, you may or may not want to try fishing
   it out. If it comes out easily, by all means fit a new one with the
   pump. The pump slides out down and toward the exhaust side.
6. In order to get the new pump in, you have to orient the shaft so the
   distributor drive slot ends up in EXACTLY the same position it was.
   This requires positioning the shaft, then rotating it backwards a
   tooth or 2 on the drive gear so that when you push it in, it rotates
   into position. This may take several attempts. Having a helper up above
   with the drawing in hand is a good idea. There is a standard drawing in
   all the shop manuals, but you should verify that your engine was last
   assembled according that drawing before you skip making one of your own.
   Make sure the O-ring doesn't get damaged by all this mucking around.
7. Once the new pump is in place, lined up, bolt it up to the timing cover.
   Replace the lower sump cover using a new gasket. Replace and re-time the
   distributor. Add oil, reconnect battery. I would rotate the engine
   around again just to make sure the timing is correct before firing it up.
   For bonus points, you could try to pour some oil into the pump before
   installation, but I tend to think you'll just end up wearing most of it.

Good luck.