Milano ABS testing

<<<<<
When I test drove the car, the Antilock light was on the entire time. When
I asked the mechanic who was sellnig the car (on behalf of a customer), he
said that it was a short somewhere between the light and the engine
compartment.

He's possibly right.  I own a Milano Platinum with WONDERFUL ABS (more
below) and one of the first problems I experienced was a malfunctioning
wheel sensor.  $50 repair.

<<<<<
He further said  the ABS system is working because you can hear the "ABS
relay" clicking. (Something was clicking everytime I pushed the brake
pedal; my guess was a tail light relay.)

The clicking very probably is the tail light relay.  But the ABS pump
should NOT come on every time the pedal is pressed.  Here's a quickie test:
take a friend with you to examine the car again.  Let the engine idle,
raise the hood.  Let your friend sit in the driver's seat (here's where you
can tell how much you trust your friend! <g>)

While your friend is sitting in the idling car, position yourself in front
of the driver's headlight facing the engine.  The pump and accumulator will
be right in front of you, halfway back (look for the BIG rubber bulb.)
While holding the bulb in one hand, have your friend press the brakes for a
second then let off for a second.  You will be able to feel when the pump
kicks in.  It should NOT kick in every time.

If the pump DOES kick in, the accumulator is shot ($150) and if it has been
that way for quite a while, the pump may be aging.

Now, as to why I love my Milano's ABS, last weekend it saved my car.  Too
much traffic, too closely bunched, going too fast and somebody slammed on
their brakes.  Lots of squealing tires, crunching sounds, but SnowHawk
avoided the growing pile of wreckage.  In fact, my only fear was being
rear-ended by somebody with normal brakes!

Howard K. Warren, Little Rock Arkansas
1988 Milano Platinum, "SnowHawk", 158k miles
1991 164L, "Peregrine", 55k miles
1984 GTV-6, "Falconi", 132k miles

End of alfa-digest V7 #745