re: '87 Spider Differential

>the rear differential housing is covered in goo.  I haven't had a chance to
>get up close and personal with it yet, still waiting on the shop manual.  My
>couriosity and impatience is getting the best of me so , I'm wondering if
>there is somone out there that has had their differential on the 'bench'.
>What can I expect, where should I look for leaks?

The rear axle/differential assembly has several parts. The center
aluminum housing, it's oil pan, and the two axle tubes which bolt to it
all have gaskets, as well as the pinion seal. I've replaced the pinion
seal, the sump gasket, the drain plug on my Spider and still had leaking,
which ultimately was the axle tube bolts needed to be retorqued. I'd
suggest steam cleaning it and then watching for where the oil is coming
from.

>Need a recommendation for good gear oil suitable for this car

Mobil 1 75w90 gear oil

Godfrey